Christianity's Artistic and Mystical Heritage: Jesus' Vagina

A few years back I came across a devotional that explored the history of medieval European Christians interpreting Jesus' spear wound as a vagina. I don't think I have anything insightful to say about it here today so I won't. Instead, here are couple links for you to check it out yourself. Here is a blogpost put out by the University of Sheffield. Here is a blogpost from Messy Nessy with a lot of beautiful images and solid, casual introduction to this sacred motif. If you are really digging this, you can buy yourself a print from Art.com.

Today is Good Friday, the day we remember Jesus receiving that wound, and I think it is worth contemplation. More generally, I think it is a good thing to get outside of our boxes and get familiar with how varied Christianity really is and has been. And maybe we don't have it all figured out. And our opinions and experiences are just one tiny piece of something that is much bigger than our perspective. 

Popular Posts