2022 Reading Wrap-up

I've never kept track of my reading, because I never wanted it to feel like something I had to do. I want my reading to be something that I want to do. Outside of any goal hitting, I thought it would be interesting to keep a list of all the books that I've read this year. Here's what I read. Some books were more impactful than others so I've included a little blurb after my favorites from the year. Some books are just for the pleasure of reading and exploring new stories, lands, and characters.

For those of you who are interested in such things, I started a profile on The StoryGraph (an alternative site to Goodreads if Amazon is not your jam). Feel free to add me to your reading community there. 

Theology and Faith

The Divine Dance by Richard RohrThis is one of my favorite theology books on the Trinity.

Wild Mercy by Mirabai Starr

Consider the Birds by Debbie Blue - A lovely book and a good preaching resource.

The Lost Art of Scripture by Karen Armstrong - This book totally changed the way I think about scripture and its role in people's lives. It was a dense book but one of my favorites of the year.

Stability by Nathan Oates - This book introduced me to the spiritual practice of Stability, and I'm looking forward to reading a second and more in depth book on the practice.

Sold Into Egypt: Journeys Into Being Human by Madeleine L'Engle

The Holy Trinity and the Law of Three: Discovering the Radical Truth at the Heart of Christianity by Cynthia Bourgeault - Another one of my favorite books of the year. So many insights into the Trinitarian nature of God and how transformation happens.

A Short History of Myth by Karen Armstrong - A more approachable version of "The Lost Art of Scripture."


Sci-Fi/Fantasy

The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo

Redemptor by Jordan Ifueko - This is the second book of a duology. I really liked the world building, the characters, and thought the conflict was sufficiently complex and demanding. I loved reading a fantasy novel inspired by African cultures.

How Long 'Til Black Future Month? by N. K. Jemisin

A Treason of Thorns by Laura E. Weymouth

The Light Between Worlds by Laura E. Weymouth

The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis - The older I get and the more I revisit the Narnia books, the more I appreciate Lewis' understanding of faith formation.

The Queen's Rising by Rebecca Ross

The Queen's Resistance by Rebecca Ross

The Crescent Stone by Matt Mikalatos

The Heartwood Crown by Matt Mikalatos - I've been reading Mikalatos since seminary (LOVE Imaginary Jesus), and I was excited to read some of his fantasy. I thought the second book made the first richer. I thought the mechanics of his magic and the character of the Peasant King were thought provoking.  

Birdwing by Rafe Martin

The Witch's Boy by Kelly Barnhill - A Minnesota author. She reminds me a lot of Gail Carson Levine, and I'm looking forward to reading more of her books.

The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill

Lyra's Oxford by Phillip Pullman


Other Non-Fiction

Women Who Run With the Wolves By Clarissa Pinkola Estes

The Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson

The Horse, The Wheel, and Language by David W. Anthony - I love learning about languages. This was an interesting book on the field of linguistic archaeology and the development of Indo-European and all its daughter languages and the domestication of horses!

The Heroine with 1,001 Faces by Maria Tatar - An exploration of feminine archetypes. I think this book would a great preaching resource too.


Graphic Novels

Through the Moon by Peter Wartman and Xanthe Bouma

Bloodmoon Huntress by Nicole Andelfinger and Felia Hanakata

The StoryGraph also creates pie charts of what kind of books you've read during the year. I'm surprised by how heavily adventurous my books are and how few of them are hopeful. Here's to more hopeful books in 2023.


Popular Posts